Quarantine Meal Plan is happening 🤩🤩 Serving Potato Tahdig (Rice cooked in Persian style with potatoes, yogurt, #heaps of saffron and ghee/butter garnished with more saffron and pistachios) with Mixed Vegetable Korma/Shahi Paneer 💗 The weekend already feels uplifting 😋😋
Here is the recipe – Makes 4-5 servings
2 tbsps ghee + 1 tbsp ghee
2 cups extra long or long basmati rice (I used Dawat)
1 large or 2 medium potatoes
1/4 tsp saffron + 1/4 tsp saffron for garnishing
1/4th cup water
Salt to taste
1 clean kitchen towel
1 tbsp chopped unsalted pistachios
1. Soak rice for 45 mins to 1 hour
2. Peel and chop potatoes in rounds upto 1/4th inch thickness. Soak them in water so they don’t turn black
3. Warm the water and put saffron in the lukewarm water to bloom. Keep it Side.
4. Next- Boil the rice for exactly 5 minutes. Drain the water in strainer and wash it in cold water to stop further cooking the rice
5. In a flat deep pan, heat 2 tbsps of ghee. Pour saffron along with the water mix. Mind your hands/face as the water will sputter in hot oil.
6. Let the saffron release color for 30-45 seconds. Then lay the potato slices flat in the pan. Do not touch or stir the potatoes. We want them to crisp up. After a minute or so spread the rice evenly over potatoes.
7. Make 5-6 holes between the rice for the steam to pass through. Additionally spread out the remaining 1tbsp ghee through the holes.
8. Take a clean towel put it over the pan and then cover it tightly. Kind of like dum Biryani but we are using a cloth instead of dough. Now cook it for 10-12 minutes on a medium flame. After that remove the lid to check if rice and potatoes are cooked through the holes. DO NOT STIR IN ANY CONDITION.
9. Cover the lid along with the towel again for 2 minutes and keep it on high flame. After that turn of the flame and let the rice sit for at least 30 minutes.
10. Remove the lid, take a large plate put it over the plan and flip it over. Now the potatoes will be on top with a lovely saffron yellow color over caramelized rice.
11. Garnish with saffron and pistachios and serve with Korma or Shahi Paneer 🎉🎉
12. P.S. Potatoes for soggy after sometime but rice stays good for 2-3 days in fridge.
If you try this recipe, do not forget to tag #thepalatetrails on Instagram and/or leave a comment below on this blog post 🙂
Thanks for stopping by lovelies!