Tortilla (or Spanish Omelette) is a typical Spanish style omelette cooked with onions, potatoes and EGGS! I decided to cook the vegan version and OMG I don’t where this has been all my life. So darn delicious! 😱 This is definitely my new healthy staple! Takes about 45-50 mins to cook and serves 4-5 people. Perfect for weekday meals where I won’t complain about the leftovers 🙋🏻♀️🙋🏻♀️ Try the recipe and let me know how you like it. Cheers 🧡
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
- 6 tbsps good quality olive oil
- 1 large white potato, peeled, and cut in slices like 1-2 mm thick
- 1/2 red or white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 block firm tofu – remove the water it comes with.
- 1/2 cup finely ground rice flour
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 3 green chillies
- Dash of turmeric, black pepper & cumin seed powder
- Extra water, if needed
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro/coriander
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan – add potatoes, onions, and 1/2 tsp salt. let it cook on medium flame stirring every 1-2 minutes. Potatoes can turn crispy but don’t let them burn. Potatoes will be soft in like 10-12 mins.
- While potatoes are cooking – in a nutribullet – dump chillies, tofu, turmeric, cumin seeds powder, black pepper. Blend to make a fine paste.
- In a bowl, put the tofu paste, sift the chickpea flour and rice flour. Use a whisk to mix all of them. Add water half cup water at a time. The mix should NOT turn watery it should be thick like a paste. Lastly add salt to taste.
- Check on potatoes – they should be ready. pour this tofu mix over and cover the lid. Let it cook for 10-15 mins on a medium flame. Once you see its starting to leave sides – Place a large plate to flip the tortilla over.
- Flip the tortilla on plate
- Put the pan back on flame with some oil
- slide the flipped tortilla so the bottom of tortilla on the plate touches oil now.
- Let it cook for another 5-6 mins with lid on a low flame
- Check with a fork and see if it comes out clean.
- Transfer onto a plate, cut yourself like a slice of pie and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with fresh avocados, sour cream and cheese.
- Bob Appetit 🎉
If you try this recipe, please remember to tag @thepalatetrails on Instagram and/or leave a comment below on this blog post. Thanks for stopping by lovelies!