As Navratri Season is upon us – I decided to recreate recipes mom made when I was growing and a few she still cooks. Like all the years – I am not fasting but just incorporating these seasonal rituals as we transition from summer >> fall. On the Day 1 of this Navratri 2021 I decided to make this rich & soft like a pillow sabudana khichdi. Minimal ingredients and maximum taste as always. Scroll through for ingredients and steps. I also made an IG reel if you want to check out the step by step. Linked here.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3 people)
(If you’d like to see the recipe video – it is linked here)
- 1 cup sabudana
- Lots of filtered water to soak the sabudana in
- 2-3 tbsps oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- fresh curry leaves or 1 tbsp curry leaves powder
- 2 tbsps raw whole peanuts
- 4 tbsps peanut powder (2 tbsps of raw whole peanuts makes this much qty of peanut powder)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp full fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 boiled medium size potato, peeled and chopped in chunks
- Cilantro & Pomegranate for garnishing
- Soak sabudana in water for 30 minutes and then strain it. let it ar dry for few hours or keep it in fridge overnight. Needs at least 5-6 hours to dry (I like to do this at night if I plan to cook in morning)
- Check the video linked here to check what texture it should be.
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil then add cumin seeds, curry leaves powder, whole peanuts, boiled potatoes, black pepper powder, crushed peanuts, salt – combine gently
- Then add overnight soaked/dried sabudana pearls. Combine well.
- For pillowy texture – In a bowl, add yogurt and water to make a drizzly paste. Then put it in the sabudana mix.
- Stir and cover the lid and let it simmer on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off flame, add lemon juice and garnish with cilantro and pomegranate.
- Serve while warm with yogurt.
- Bon Appetit 🎉
If you try this recipe, do not forget to tag #thepalatetrails on Instagram and/or leave a comment below on this blog post. Thanks for stopping by lovelies!